Finding Your Pathway to Teaching

Steps to becoming a teacher for the career changer Steps to Becoming a Teacher
for the
Career Changer

If you have been in another career and are considering the teaching profession now, here are some points to consider:

Career Changer Without a Bachelor's Degree:

Please refer to the Four-Year College Student section for more information.

Career Changer With a Bachelor's Degree or Higher:

Step #1 - Find out if teaching is for you
  • Volunteer in several different grade levels or classrooms, or visit your local school and talk with teachers and the principal.

  • Observe different special education classroom settings.

Step #2 - Decide what grade level and subject to teach
  • If you want to teach elementary school, proof of subject matter competency is required (verified by passage of the CSET Multiple Subject exam). You will need to teach many subjects and will be seeking a "Multiple Subject Teaching Credential."

  • If you want to teach high school, proof of subject matter competency is required (verified by a major in the subject you wish to teach or passage of the Praxis/SSAT/CSET exam). You will need to teach one subject in depth and will be seeking a "Single Subject Teaching Credential."

  • If you want to teach special education classes, you must verify subject matter competency by either taking an approved Praxis/SSAT/CSET exam or by completing an approved, single subject program. You will be seeking an "Education Specialist Instruction Credential."

Step #3 - Decide what type of credential (licensing) program is best for you

The three major types of programs are:
  • Internship - These programs provide candidates with classroom responsibilities while they complete course work requirements for a credential.

  • Post-Baccalaureate - These programs are two or three semesters long (including student teaching) and sometimes include a master's degree.

  • Online - CalState TEACH is a multiple-subject credential program that delivers the curriculum in a self-study format using online, print, and CD-ROM materials.

Step #4 - Take the required tests

You will need to take the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test) and, depending on your credential type, other exams.

Step #5 - Apply for financial aid
  • File the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on time (March 2). The information on this form is used to determine the amount of federal and state financial aid for which you are eligible. Log on to for more information.

  • Check out:
    • Grants
    • Loans
    • Work Study
    • University-Based Programs
    • Scholarships
Website hosting provided courtesy of

Tulare County Office of Education Authorized by Chapter 491, Statues of 2005, and funded by the California Department of Education through a contract between the Sacramento County Office of Education and the Tulare County Office of Education.